- Decentralised architecture with no central authority or ownership
- Relationships can be made across any compatible system, creating a network of internet scale made up of smaller sites
- Language selector (or automatic detection) with a growing list of supported translations
- Administration interface with access to site settings, plugin administration, log files, member management
- Community page provides recent public posts from across the site (respects all privacy controls)
- Member directory (respects all privacy controls)
- Site content search with boolean capability (respects all privacy controls)
- Extensible via third-party plugin modules and themes. A growing number of both are currently available.
- Easy upgrades. Database schema is automatically brought up to date.
- Message queuing and redelivery for reliable communications which are immune to brief network outages
- Supports 'Apps' which are third-party plugin applications such as games or utilities
- Built-in Help and Documentation
- Server-to-server military grade message encryption (on supported networks)
- All items controlled by access lists (individuals and groups - allow and deny)
- Private conversation groups - on these pages all communications are restricted to group members - similar to Google+ "circles" or Diaspora "aspects"
- Visual group editor to manage the members of private conversation groups
- Individuals may belong to more than one group
- Network 'email' - provides 'one-to-one' private messaging to any Friendica or Diaspora member, even those on different sites
- Anonymous profile viewing (any of your content and/or profile information) can be disabled
- Publishing your profile to network directories (site and global) is individually controllable
- Private profiles with controlled visibility. You can maintain completely different personality profiles visible only to specific people.
- Optionally "expire" old content after a certain period of time. The content is also removed from all other Friendica servers which might be holding a copy
- Location and other private information embedded in uploaded photos from cell phones is stripped
- Download your personal data. It all belongs to you.
- "Unlimited" length - many sites will allow up to 200k characters per post.
- Rich text supported - bold, italics, colour, size, tables, more
- Media support includes audio, video, embeds, links, Youtube, Vimeo, SoundCloud, uploaded photos, file attachments, more
- Optional location/geotagging of posts using a default location or use browser tracking
- Edit your posts after they have been published
- Common tag formats supported including @mentions and #tags
- Code blocks are provided for computer-related communications
- Sharing of posts (those which are not private)
- Multiple deletion (delete all selected items)
- Seamless wall-to-wall posts and remote comments, even across different network nodes
- Notes to self - maintain your own private notebook
- Birthday notifications - timezone corrected so that if you are in Phoenix and I am in Perth you won't get the birthday greeting on the wrong day.
- Personal and shared events with calendar.
- Photo Albums - with full privacy support
- Private photo album viewing allowed across network nodes
- A default public profile is provided - which may be restricted
- Multiple profiles may be created, each uniquely configured for the intended audience
- Existing profiles may be cloned to create similar profiles which only differ in minor details
- Visual editor allows you to select which friends can view which profile
- Rich selection of available profile information categories
- Built-in support for OStatus federation (status.net, identi.ca, GNU-social, many others)
- Built-in implementation of Diaspora protocols allows communication with any Diaspora member.
- Email contacts and communications supported (two-way) via IMAP4rev1/ESMTP
- Arbitrary websites and blogs may be imported into your social stream via RSS/Atom feeds
- Facebook, Twitter, Status.Net, pump.io, app.net, libertree and G+ "post-through" ability using plugin modules
- Facebook contacts and posts may be imported and become an extension of the Friendica network
- Posts can also be shared with WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr
- OExchange link sharing supported
- PortableContacts provides information about friends between allowed sites using a standards-compliant format.
- OpenSearch provider interface
- Basic Twitter/StatusNet API provides easy access from a growing number of mobile and third party applications (Bitlbee, Choqok, Frentcl, Gwibber, Hotot, IdentiCurse, Pidgin/Purple, Mustard, Pino, TTYtter, and more)
- Sites can restrict friendships based on protocol, email addresses, and DNS location
- Fan (one-way) relationships are fully supported
- Community pages can be created for large special interest groups
- Automatic friend suggestions
- Any contact can be blocked completely or quietly "ignored"
- Ability to match people in the directory based on interests
- Suggest/recommend existing friends to other friends
- Network page (the combined stream of all your friends' activities) is searchable by keyword and marked items, by group, and by individual.
- Comments and multiple posts are collapsed to the most recent (these may be expanded)
- "View New Items" shows all recent activities in your network in reverse date order
So what are you waiting for?
Download Friendica NOW or join a Friendica site to get started today.